Taboo - The game of unspeakable fun!
162 cards, 1 squeeker, sand timer, score pad game-changer die
1. Set it up
a. Split into 2 teams
Alternate players from each turn so you can keep an eye on each other
b. Sort your cards
- Choose which color words to play this game (then use a different color next game to keep it fresh) On the braille sheets, each corner of the paper represents a different color.
-Check all cards are facing the same way
-Put a handful on the table with your chosen color facing down. (You will flip the top card to play.)
Get your team to say the Guess word at the top of the card. But don't use any of the Taboo words in your description... Or the other team will squeak you!
One team guesses while the other team turns the timer and holds the squeeker. If playing with blind players, using an accessible timer such as a iPhone might be helpful.
On Your team's turn to guesses
1. Choose one player on your team to be the describer. Give them the stack of cards.
2. The other team chooses someone to hold the squeaker and start the timer. That person peers over the describer's shoulder to see the cards. If the describer uses any Taboo words, they squeak em!
3. When the timer starts, your team's describer immediately:
-Flips the top card.
-Describes the top word on the color you've chosen to play without saying the Taboo words!
-Puts any cards that get squeaked to one side.
-Keeps flipping cards and describing new words for your team to guess.
4. When the timer runs out, your team's turn is over.
-Score 1 point for each card you guessed successfully.
-Give 1 point to the other team for each card that your skipped or got squeaked.
5. Then it's the other team's turn.
When to squeak!
Squeak when the describer breaks any of these rules!
- Don't say any part of any word on the card! (e.g. you can't say 'space' or 'ship' because the word is 'spaceship')
-Don't use sneaky plurals! (e.g. you can't say 'feet' for 'foot')
-Don't make noises or use sound effects!
-Don't say 'sounds like' - that's too easy!
-Don't use abbreviations! (e.g. don't say 'TV' for 'Television)
-But do sing if you feel the urge!
-Do have fun!
4. How to win
When all players have taken equal turns as the describer, the team with the most points WINS! If there's a tie, just keep playing
5. Game-Changer Die
If you've mastered the classic game, mix it up by rolling the game-changer die before the timer starts!
a. One guesser - Choose only one teammate to guess on your turn.
b. Double the time - When the timer runs out, turn it over and keep going! To keep it fair, the other team does the same on their next turn.
c. Statue - Sit perfectly still while giving clues. The other team flips your cards.
d. All Play - Both teams can guess the word being described
e. Classic play - Do nothing. Follow classic rules.
© 2013 Hasbro and Company. Taboo is trademark of Hersch and Company, Los Angeles, CA
© 2013 Hasbro, Pawtucket, RI 02861-1059 USA, All Rights Resevered, TM & ® denotes U.S. Trademarks.